Pf transfer online is a very simple procedure to transfer epf balance from one company to another. With the introduction of This is very useful for people who change jobs frequently. You can do this from the comfort of your home. For this process to work you should have completed some other tasks as well. I will start this post with those prerequisites. Now lets see what you should have completed before proceeding to epf transfer online.
Pre-Requisites for Online PF Transfer
1. Activate UAN on Member Portal: In order to initiate transfer request, you need access to UAN Member Portal. I have explained how to Activate UAN Number in my previous post. If you have already activated UAN, you can skip this step.
2. Once you activate UAN number, you must have password for login on UAN Member Portal. If you don’t know the login password, please read my post UAN Password Reset. Now you can access the portal successfully.
3. You must have your mobile number that is registered with EPFO to receive OTP.
4. Employee’s Bank account number and IFSC code should be seeded on portal.
5. You should have completed the e-KYC. For this, you must seed Aadhar number and PAN number on portal or through employer.
6. Previous Member ID or Present Member ID are required to make transfer from previous company to present company.
7. You previous employer should have completed ‘Date of Joining’ & ‘Date of Exit’ in ECR (Electronic Challan cum Return) filing.
EPF Balance Transfer Process – Step By Step
Step 1: Go to https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/ and enter your UAN Number and password to login into Online transfer claim portal.
Step 2: Once you login, a dashboard contains different options and tabs will be displayed. Among those tabs click on ‘Online Services’ link. Then it will display a drop down menu which contains a link ‘One Member – One EPF Account (Transfer Request)’. Click it.
Step 3: You can see your personal information which you need to check for its correctness before proceeding with transfer claim submission. On the same page, you can see ‘Step 1 : Select details of previous accounts (which are to be transferred)’ heading. Under this section, you can choose present or previous employer, based on availability of DSC authorized signatory for claim form attestation.
Now choose previous or present employer radio box and enter the corresponding member id / UAN. You can also generate member id in required format by clicking ‘Get MID’ option.
Step 4: Next click on ‘Get OTP’ link under ‘Step 2 : Authenticate OTP & Submit’ section to receive OTP on your UAN registered mobile number. Enter OTP and click submit. On submitting the received OTP your transfer request is complete.
Step 5: Now you can download the pdf copy of pf transfer claim form from the “track claim status” option under ‘Online Services’ Menu Tab. Submit the self-attested copy of this form to your selected employer within 10 days of submitting the request online.
Step 6: Once you submit the form, the selected employer will digitally approve your EPF transfer request by accessing employer interface of the unified portal.
You can expect pf balance transfer to be completed within 20 days.
Why do you need to Transfer Pf Balance from Previous Employer
It is beneficial to transfer balance from previous employer instead of withdrawal for the following reasons –
People often switch jobs within 2 to 3 years. If you keep withdrawing these epf balances, you will lose compounding effect of money.
Also epf was established as a saving scheme for salaried employees in long term and can be used as retirement corpus. Withdrawing this balance will result in wastage of this valuable retirement fund for unnecessary luxuries. It will effect your retirement life.
TDS is charged if you withdraw epf balance before completing 5 years from the contribution starting date. It will result in loss of capital. if you transfer the balance to new employer and maintain it for 5 years, you don’t have to pay any tax.
FAQs on PF Transfer Online Process
1. I have multiple UAN Numbers. How can i transfer pf online?
Ans: It is so common among epf members. I have come across people who have multiple UAN Numbers. This problem is arising due to lack proper understanding while switching jobs and don’t know how to manage epf account.
While joining a new company the member did not disclose their existing UAN number. Instead they opt for a new EPF account. In some cases, even if you mention the existing UAN, your previous employer do not file “Date of Exit” in ECR.
In these cases you will end up having multiple UAN Numbers. It will create problems while withdrawing pf balance or during final settlement.To overcome this problem, you have to merge these 2 UAN by following the procedure outlined above. If the problem is not resolved, register grievance on epf i grievance management system.
2. Can I cancel the PF transfer request I have submitted on the EPFO site?
Ans: Yes it possible but not from your end. You can request your selected employer to reject the transfer claim request made by you. They can reject your Pf transfer claim request with a reason for rejection.
3. After completing pf transfer request, i am getting a message ‘”Your request is In Transit between EPFO Out and In Office”. What to do now?
Ans: Usually transfer request will be completed within 20 to 60 days. If it is still showing this message, you may register grievance on epf i grievance management system @ https://epfigms.gov.in
4. How to find establishment Code (7 digit) for a PF transfer?
Ans: Establishment Code is a 7 digit number which comes immediately after 5 characters in your pf account number/ member id. You learn more about EPFO Establishment Code in my other post.
5. How to Transfer Pf Online using UAN
Ans: The whole process of epf transfer is based on UAN. You can transfer balance by entering UAN Number in place of member id.